Volunteer Forum Mods Rules
Do you want to be a Volunteer Forum Mod (Mod)?
We provide wonderful Letters of Recommendation for college applications and jobs references!
Please answer YES PICK ME below if you are serious about applying.
Answering YES means that you have READ and ACCEPT TO ABIDE BY THE FOLLOWING:
QUALITIES WE LOOK FOR IN A MOD:
- A good sense of humor
- Respect for the members and staff
- Calm in tense situations
- Ability to speak clearly and willingness to explain the forum rules to members
- Ability to take criticism and learn from mistakes
- Common sense, tact and willingness to help both when asked and when not asked.
PLEASE NOTE: Forum Mods may get a fair amount of abuse from over excited members. It is rarely personal or the Mod's fault. Mods are just easy targets when a member is looking for someone to blame. We really appreciate the volunteers who are willing to take this on in order to maintain this site for global solutions and maximum impact!
MODS AGREE TO ABIDE BY THESE MOD RULES:
1] Do not abuse your position. Value the responsibility that comes with the title and role.
2] You are a visible face of The Hum Sum. Please act professionally at all times. Never get dragged into arguments.
3] Follow regular Member Safety Policy rules and more. Do not provide personal information and only contact members via Forum Comments, Hum Sum Private Secure Messaging, or Hum Sum email.
4] Be alert. Blocked members may try to sign back in, so be aware of what members are trying to do.
5] Report Any Abuse or Threats To Your Inbox. Block the abuser and report it to staff immediately.
6] You may be put in a position where you have to lock/delete/ban an acquaintance / classmate. Try and separate your Forum Mod duties from your relationships as much as possible. If you know someone is breaking the rules, you are to follow these rules otherwise your own status may be affected.
7] Never enter into a forum content debate with members, other Mods or staff from your Mod profile. You are welcome to participate in forums under a separate non-Mod profile.
8] Don't be offended if staff / other Mods ask you to justify an action. We have the right to ask.
9] If you are banned from being a Mod, do not pester staff or other Mods. It will be considered harassment.
10] Staff has the right to change/amend rules and guidelines as deemed necessary. Forum Mods will be sent updates that they are required to read. Members rarely read updates, Mods should be ready to explain new rules when questioned.
HUM SUM FORUM MOD GUIDELINES
These 'Guidelines' are not set in stone, so use common sense and your instincts whenever necessart. Learn to 'read' the tone of the forum.
WHAT TO DELETE:
- Anything Abusive / Offensively Intolerant / Racist / Personal (e.g. non business contact info, inappropriate avatar images)
- Advertising unrelated to forum eco-topic (6hr immediate forum ban - message Staff with details)
- Any locked post past half way down the forum.
WHAT NOT TO DELETE:
- General Chit Chat
- Topics about Mods that are there for fun
- Topics after they have been answered (may have a different opinion/answer)
- Posts on religions / races / LGBTQ or other culturally sensitive / controversial issues until they become too argumentative.
- Anything else that is harmless and in good humor and attracts the right attention.
PROCESS IF ANY POSTS START GETTING OUT OF HAND
First Action is to post a general warning to calm them.
“Kindly remember that The Hum Sum Forums are for respectful debate and finding solutions.”
Second Action, if necessary is to message players inboxes.
“Second and last warning! Kindly remember that The Hum Sum Forums are for respectful debate and finding solutions.”
Third Action, if the posts reach a level where banning is necessary
- lock and ban those responsible.
- Post “Mod has removed this post and temporarily banned responsible members for a calm down period of 3 hours”
LOW OFFENSES (0-24 HOUR BAN)
- Posting in the wrong forum. (Move post and message member.)
- Making a new thread about a topic that already exists (Move post to existing topic, close new thread and message member).
- Posting pointless topics and repeatedly posting ones that have already been locked/deleted AKA spam
FOR REPEAT OFFENDERS
First Action: send a private message warning “First warning. If you continue to break the following rule, you will be banned from this site for 24 hours." (state rule).
Second Action, if they continue, send them a second warning by Hum Sum private message..
Third Action, if they still continue to the break rules, ban the member between 3- 24 hours at your discretion.
Be on the alert for the member to sign up again. If you are sure by the posts that it is the same member, and they are continuing to break the rules, you can delete the new account.
MEDIUM OFFENSES (BANNED FOR 7 DAYS)
If these rules are broken a ban should be enforced immediately and reported via Hum Sum Messaging for STAFF REVIEW.
Mod Action: Message responsible member:
“You have been banned for the following reason(s):
Direct any complaints to the Feedback, Suggestions and Complaints Forum.”
- Abusive / inappropriate post or message to members staff, volunteers Forum Mods etc.
- Spam (same post on multiple threads / multiple posts on same subject / multiple eco ads / multiple non-eco ads).
HIGH OFFENSE (DELETED):
If these rules are broken a ban should be enforced immediately and reported to staff via Hum Sum Messaging REQUEST FOR DELETION WITHOUT REVIEW.
- Stalking or harassing another member
- Posting of images or graphic descriptions of pornography / or material generally considered inappropriate or offensive.
- Posting of URLs of pornography/unsuitable sites
- Abuse / Racism / Offensive Intolerance of any kind
- Aggressive advertisements for off-topic non-eco websites.
- Duplicates of inappropriate posts on the same or other forums.
- Continued spam after ban (same post on multiple threads / multiple posts on same subject / multiple eco ads / multiple non-eco ads).
Deleting a member is a major action and should not to be executed without major cause.
Deleting a member will delete all of the member's content as well.
GENERAL TASKS & THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Remember to check stickied topics, as these are often spammed.
- The forum panel can be used to delete all posts made by one person.
- Ban for 3 hrs for general bad behavior (Low Offense).
- Ban for 24 hrs for cooling hot heads (Medium Offense).
- Delete members for serious breaches of forum rules (High Offense).
- High Offenses - inform a staff immediately.
- When you are moderating a Forum, you are responsible for the previous 24 hours at least.
- Always post an I Am Mod comment on top forum answer.
- Delete I Am Mod comment when you sign off.
- If you think another Mod has forgotten to delete their I Am Mod post, message them. If that is true or there is no answer, delete theirs and post yours.
- Do not forget to do a sweep of the Forum your moderating every 30 mins or so and read the posts, don't just look at the title!
- Do not Mod more forums than you can resweep every 30 mins or so.